If you have a child with someone you are no longer in a relationship with, there may be custody, parenting time and child support issues. Child support is ordered in divorces and in cases where parties were never married if they no longer reside together.  A parent with less than half of the annual overnights or the parent with the higher income is usually required to pay child support until the child is 18 or 21, depending on whether the child attends college. The parent who pays child support is typically referred to as the “paying parent” or the “payor.”

The child support guidelines use tables and worksheets calculations to determine which parent pays support and how much they will pay. You can find what is called the Form 14 child support calculation worksheet online. At a minimum, you need the following information to calculate the presumed amount of child support:

  • Your gross monthly income (before taxes)
  • The other parent’s gross monthly income
  • The amount of child care expenses, if any, paid by each parent per month
  • The cost of health insurance coverage paid by each parent per month for the child or children only
  • The number of overnights the parent who is paying support (the parent with less than half of the time or who makes more money if the time is split equally) has with the child or children

Other things that can come into play in the child support calculation might be if a parent has other children or pays support for other children. It is best to seek the advice of an attorney to make sure the Form 14 is calculated correctly. Please contact us to schedule a consultation if you have questions about calculating child support.


A child support can be established or modified either by the Missouri Department of Social Service Family Support Division or through a court action. The Family Support Division will only modify an existing child support order every three years. Through the court you can modify support if there is a change in circumstances which results in a 20% change (up or down) from the original calculated figure. It is best to consult with an attorney to determine a path forward that is most beneficial to you and your children. 

Tana Benner and her family

Let’s Get Started